Rs 1,000-cr Assam Flood Rehab Bill Likely; PM Modi Demands Checks
Guwahati, Aug 12 — Prime Minister Narendra Modi has assured full Central support for rehabilitating genuine flood-affected families in Assam but urged the state to exclude households that did not suffer loss in the recent deluge, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said at a press conference. Sarma said the Centre has committed assistance under the Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) framework and that Assam will not face a shortage of funds for rehabilitation.
Speaking at Lok Sewa Bhawan on Wednesday, Sarma outlined a three-layered survey and verification process to identify genuine beneficiaries and restore affected districts through a new approach. He said the PDNA — a standardized assessment used to estimate disaster damages and recovery needs — will guide central assistance and rehabilitation planning.
According to the chief minister, field teams have completed assessments for 8,325 families so far, with preliminary findings indicating damages exceeding Rs 150 crore for the registered cases; this figure is expected to rise as assessments continue. “There is a possibility that the State government may have to spend over Rs 1,000 crore towards compensation and rehabilitation,” Sarma added.
Once the first phase finishes, the government will publish a draft beneficiary list and open a window for objections. A second round of assessments will be held from September 1 to September 10 to verify the initial findings; this re-verification will be conducted by a separate team of teachers to ensure impartiality. Under a third layer of checks, surveyors from districts not affected by the floods will visit impacted areas for fresh verification to create a more foolproof mechanism.
The state will also set up a formal grievance redressal process for residents seeking corrections of omissions or inaccuracies in the beneficiary lists. “There will be a provision for people to raise complaints and objections. We want to ensure that every genuine victim is covered and that no ineligible person receives assistance,” Sarma said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sarma released Rs 2.5 lakh each for damaged anganwadi centres — covering 350 centres in Sivasagar, 95 in Charaideo, 37 in Jorhat and 12 in Golaghat — and said similar grants will be extended to flood-affected namghars. Funds for namghars, particularly in Jorhat and Golaghat, will be released before August 20 ahead of the month of Bhaddo, he said.
Original Source: https://assamtribune.com/assam/rs-1000-cr-assam-flood-rehab-bill-likely-pm-modi-demands-beneficiary-checks-1615555
Category: Assam,Featured
Tags:
Publish Date: 2026-08-12 16:12:00