Major Rs 4,102 Crore Boost for Census as Five NE States Complete Phase
The Centre told Parliament that the first phase of Census 2027 — the houselisting and housing census — has been completed in 31 states and Union Territories, including northeastern states Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim. The Ministry of Home Affairs said the remaining areas are scheduled to finish the exercise by September 2026. The statement was given by Union Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
The ministry said Rs 4,102 crore has been released so far to states and Union Territories to cover training of census personnel, manpower support, technical infrastructure and honoraria for census functionaries. Training of master trainers, field trainers, enumerators and supervisors has either been completed or is underway, coordinated with state and Union Territory governments.
According to the MHA, the first phase has been completed in Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim, as well as Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Delhi, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Ladakh, Lakshadweep, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Rajasthan, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Kerala.
The second phase, which involves population enumeration, will be held in snow‑bound and non‑synchronous areas between September 1 and 30, 2026 — specifically in Ladakh and the snow‑affected parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. A revisional round of enumeration will follow from October 1 to 5, 2026.
For the first time, the Centre has introduced self‑enumeration. An online self‑enumeration facility will be available from August 17 to 31, 2026, allowing households to submit their details digitally ahead of field enumeration. Census 2027 is being conducted with digital tools: enumerators will use a dedicated mobile application alongside the traditional door‑to‑door method, supported by the Census Management and Monitoring System portal and other digital platforms. The ministry said digital tools for the second phase have also been developed.
During the houselisting and housing census, officials collected data on housing conditions, household characteristics, amenities and assets using a questionnaire of 33 notified questions. The government reiterated that information gathered under the Census Act, 1948, will remain confidential and be used only for statistical purposes and development planning.
The digital approach and the option of self‑enumeration aim to speed up data collection and improve accuracy, providing updated baseline data that will guide resource allocation, planning and public-policy decisions.
Original Source: https://www.indiatodayne.in/national/story/rs-4102-crore-released-for-census-operations-as-five-northeast-states-complete-first-phase-mha-1437013-2026-08-12?utm_source=rssfeed
Category:
Tags:
Publish Date: 2026-08-12 19:06:00