Rijiju Slams Chinese Intrusion Claims, Faults Congress on Borders
New Delhi, August 19 (IANS) — Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday rejected allegations by Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi that the Centre has hidden Chinese incursions into Indian territory, saying concerns from Arunachal Pradesh must be seen against a long-standing absence of a formally demarcated India‑China boundary in the state. Rijiju made the remarks in an interview with IANS, warning that unverified claims and videos risk creating public confusion.
Rijiju said the core problem is that large stretches of the Arunachal frontier lack clear border pillars or a distinct line on the ground. “There are issues in several places in Arunachal Pradesh; the root cause of these issues needs to be understood,” he said, noting the boundary with China in the region has never been fully delineated-even when Tibet was a separate entity.
Acknowledging genuine apprehensions among border residents, the minister urged caution against circulating unverified footage. “It is wrong for people to spread confusion by sharing various videos,” he said, adding that presenting the situation through uncorroborated material could mislead the public and undermine morale.
Rijiju linked the tensions to differences in the pace of infrastructure development along the frontier. He accused earlier Congress-led governments of discouraging road and connectivity projects on the Indian side, quoting then-Defence Minister A.K. Antony as having said in Parliament that building infrastructure on India’s side was not government policy. By contrast, he said the Narendra Modi‑led government that came to power in 2014 reversed that approach and accelerated road building in strategic border areas.
Citing specific projects, Rijiju said roads were constructed to previously inaccessible places such as Maza, which he visited, and to Taksing in 2019. He argued that because China had earlier developed roads and facilities, it was able to gain a tactical advantage in some high-altitude stretches, and India is now responding by improving its own connectivity.
Rejecting claims that Chinese forces had “occupied” Indian villages, Rijiju said disputed stretches reflect the absence of a clearly demarcated boundary and differing local perceptions of where territory lies. He pointed to an area beyond Longju where he said the Chinese PLA built structures resembling a village and consolidated control in 1959 and further in 1962.
Rijiju also said patrolling by the Indian Army and the Indo‑Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has been strengthened in sensitive sectors and acknowledged increased Chinese activity along certain ridgelines, which has heightened local concerns. He urged that villagers’ apprehensions be taken seriously while avoiding the spread of misleading material for political ends.
Finally, Rijiju accused the Congress of circulating misleading content to shape a political narrative and cautioned against sharing what he described as a fake video “purportedly from Bangladesh,” saying such actions harm the armed forces’ morale.
Original Source: https://www.morungexpress.com/kiren-rijiju-rejects-chinese-intrusion-claims-says-cong-policy-left-india-behind-on-border-infrastructure
Category: India
Tags:
Publish Date: 2026-08-19 17:14:00