IMCT Rushes to Flood-Hit Nagaland, Pledges Swift Restoration Aid
The Inter‑Ministerial Central Team (IMCT), led by M. Ramachandrudu, IAS, Joint Secretary (DM‑II) in the Union Home Ministry, on August 12–13 conducted on‑site assessments in Mon, Mokokchung and Longleng districts of Nagaland and pledged all possible assistance to restore damage caused by landslides, flash floods and heavy monsoon rains. The team’s visits followed severe rainfall on July 19–20 that triggered widespread landslides and floods, damaging homes, roads, bridges and public infrastructure and disrupting village connectivity across the state.
In Mon on August 13 the IMCT inspected landslide‑hit localities including Defence Colony and Thamnan Ward alongside district officials, the Superintendent of Police and representatives of the Konyak Union, Konyak Students’ Union and Konyak Nyupuh Sheko Khong. Z Nyusietho Nyuthe, Advisor to the Nagaland State Disaster Management Authority (NSDMA), described the July 19 incident as “unfortunate” and said both the State and Central governments were concerned and looking at precautionary measures for the future.
Ramachandrudu said the team had directly observed the losses suffered by residents and reiterated that “all possible assistance” would be provided to restore affected areas. Officials presented assessments showing that the intense rainfall on July 19–20 caused loss of life, destruction of houses, agricultural losses and blockage of critical arterial routes in Mon district.
The IMCT visited Tuli Sub‑Division in Mokokchung on August 12 after a briefing at Tuliyong Community Hall where Nodal Officer Temsuwangshi Jamir outlined the district’s 2026 disaster impacts. Advisors including A. Panjung Jamir (Fisheries & Aquatic Resources) and NSDMA Advisor Nyuthe joined interactions with district administration and emergency officials, followed by field verification of reported damage.
In Longleng the team found major roads and inter‑village links extensively damaged, effectively isolating the district and hampering movement of people, relief materials and essential goods. NSDMA Joint CEO Dr Jhonny Ruangmei warned that the loss of surface connectivity had acted as a “multiplier of disaster,” and urged that future infrastructure be more resilient to withstand such events.
State officials said Indian Air Force helicopters had been deployed for weeks to evacuate stranded residents, “including more than 100 students, elderly persons and sick patients” from Tamlu and Namsang. On August 13 the IMCT and DDMA Longleng officials also handed over immediate relief to three fire‑affected families at Yaongyemchen village. The IMCT reported that it had toured multiple parts of Nagaland, witnessed extensive landslide damage to houses and roads, and would press for swift measures to restore normalcy.
Original Source: https://www.morungexpress.com/nagaland-imct-visits-flood-hit-areas-assures-assistance-for-restoration
Category: Nagaland
Tags:
Publish Date: 2026-08-13 23:14:00